Stock Market Project

Recently, in Language Arts we have been talking about and working with fake stocks. In early April, we started this process. At first, one of our math teachers came in to help us make our Google Sheets to help us organize our stocks. She taught us About what stocks were and how to and put formulas to track our earnings. After that, we each got given an imaginary budget of $20,000 to invest in our own stocks. There are a few obligations. Number one was that we could only invest in up to six different stocks. Number two was that we could not spend a single penny over our budget. Number three was that our stocks had to be part of the New York Stock Exchange. Lastly, number four was that all of her stocks had to produce actual items. That was only the first step in the process, organizing and learning about everything. In the next part of the project, we actually started to check our stocks!

Once our initial planning was done, we had check-ins of how our stocks were going. Each week we recorded our earnings or losses on a flashcard  to track our progress over a long period of time. By doing this, we were also able to compare our stocks with others and see how theirs were doing too. Everyone’s goal is to ultimately win the project by having earned the most money through the imaginary stocks you invested in. Both the people that earned the most and this imaginary stocks project  and lost the most in this project won a prize! Above you can see the stocks I invested in and how they were doing on 5/30/23. Some have done really well since the last time I checked, but some have also gotten progressively worse. Right now in particular Facebook and Apple are doing really well but Nike on the other hand isn’t. Hopefully, my stocks continue to improve over time event though I won’t be tracking them anymore. 

This project was inspired by The Westing Game. It is a book about 16 people who try and solve a murder mystery. One girl, Turtle thinks investing in and working with stocks in the solution to the riddles/clues everyone is given. We have been working with this book a lot lately, and this is one of my favorite things we did relating to the book because Turtle, the character so invested in stocks, is my favorite character! I love doing this as it gave me a chance to learn more about the stock market and how it works and because I loved investing in my own personal fake stocks to see how they did it over time. Thank you for reading this post!